Some Thoughts on 2022
It seems like the last two or three years, with every new start of a year I come out swinging, meaning new posts much more regularly, but I don't question, just go with the flow. And today I look once more back to the previous year, what I liked, what I didn't like and what else was happening.
Things I liked
- Sonos Support, at the beginning of the year I had some issues with my Sonos Surround setup and I was impressed with the speed and quality of their support.
- Yellowjackets Season 1, Lord of the Flies with a very disturbing twist. Loved the first season.
- Half-Life Alyx, I wrote a short like post about it because this game is insanely good and a breathtaking VR experience
- Paddington 2, I never thought I would love a movie with a talking bear this much.
- The first episode of Severance (and the rest of the season) is probably the most surprising TV thing this year, just because it came out of nowhere.
- Kirby CMS, I never thought I'd leave WordPress and never look back, awesome small CMS, the perfect one for me.
- The first 10 minutes of Cha Cha Real Smooth, because I never cried this fast when watching a movie. I think it took me less than 5 minutes.
- Watching Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar The Way of Water on a big IMAX screen. Both are spectacular, and especially the last act of Avatar is probably one of the best action scenes in a LOOOOONG time I've ever seen.
- The bold filmmaking of The Northman is something that I loved. Just someone's vision without any compromise.
- The third season of Barry had some amazing build-up and very unusual but effective action scenes.
- David Fincher directing an animated short for Love Death + Robots is something special. Plus the short film Jabiro
- Andor because it was an adult Star Wars Show I always wanted.
- Taking part in some local Music Quizzes with some friends.
- Bad Sisters was such a sweet but dark and funny mini-series which had me guessing how it all ends.
- So sad to see Better Call Saul end but what an end to such an Amazing show which I now consider being better than Breaking Bad. Saul and Kim, a couple for the ages. Will miss all those characters dearly, even the bad guys.
- Everything Everywhere All at Once. The movie has everything all at once and shouldn't work but not only does it actually work, but it's also such a deeply personal and touching story. The biggest movie surprise and my number-one movie of the year.
Things I didn’t like
- Too much nostalgia manipulation from movies like Ghostbusters Afterlife and Jurassic World: Dominion. Plus they are not good movies.
- The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi made me think Star Wars is officially dead (until Andor was released)
- The ending of Ozark was not good, bad endings always leave a bad taste at the end of a show. Even if up until then it was good or great (looking at you Game of Thrones).
- Rich annoying silicon valley billionaires in silicon valley shows (Super Pumped, WeCrashed and The Dropout)
- Bad sound in movie theatres, kinda ruined Wakanda Forever for me.
- The last season of the Walking Dead, glad it's finally over, it clearly overstayed its welcome. The first 3 or 4 seasons are good, the rest is sometimes laughable.
- The fifth season of The Handmaid's Tale is laughable as well and starts to tarnish the first 2 seasons.
What else did I do?
- I did a whole CMS switch by migrating over 900 entries. It was a huge undertaking.
- I switched note-taking apps and switched from Bear to Notion. Notion is such an excellent application that I am considering paying extra money for the Notion Plus option.
- I also switched from Bitbucket for all my code repositories to GitHub and actually made some of my code public so that everyone can judge my code.
This is not a complete list I am sure but one I created early and filled with notes throughout the year. When I look back, it was another weird year where I started strong with lots of energy which I think got used up with the whole CMS transition. The entire second part of the year, I felt really down and started to retreat. But I think I overcame that phase with help and now I can look forward with a more positive attitude.
Let's hope it sticks a bit longer this year.