Some thoughts on 2021
As like last year, after some stats, I follow up with some things that I didn’t like and things I liked during the last year. Gone are the days of ranked lists, these are just randomly put together with no real order.
Things I liked
- Spiderman Far from Home, a lot of hype surrounded this movie and to my surprise the movie delivered nicely.
- Titane, after RAW I knew I was in for a ride and what a ride it was. Not an easy movie to watch and one that sticks around for a while.
- Wish you were here, I’ve listened to this album quite often
- Pneuma, a song from last year’s Tool album but one I really discovered this year.
- Invisible Monsters, reading my favorite book once again and it’s still a fucking roller coaster ride (awesome quotes here)
- Half-Life Alyx, playing this game in VR is just amazing, horror, suspense and action all in awesome graphics make you feel you’re there.
- Google VR, vising interesting places in VR was a nice way of going around the world in the midst of a pandemic.
- Judas and the Black Messiah, oh man that performance from Daniel Kaluuya, oh man he deserved that Acadamy Award.
- The Power of the Dog, an atmospheric brooding character study with amazing performances and stunning images.
- A Glitch in the Matrix, probably the movie that provided the most interesting discussions with people, and yes in some way I believe we are.
- Kirby, I fell in love with this flat-file CMS. I’m glad I’m switching because it has so many things which allow me to do exactly what I want
- Friends & Seinfeld, rewatching some classic sitcoms put a smile on my face in some dire moments this year, and there were quite a few.
- The Green Knight, that ending, oh that ending blew me away.
- My daily walks, I started to take them last February and I really needed those to clear my head, and I keep doing them because it gets me outside, breathing fresh air and doing something for my health.
- Arcane, I purposefully put this one last because it’s a biggie. By FAR the best thing I’ve seen this year and probably the best first season of any TV Show I’ve ever seen (not counting mini-series). I will probably dedicate a full blog post about this show. Go watch it on Netflix!
Things I didn’t like
- Bland big-budget movies like Red Notice, Venom, Mortal Kombat and especially Monster Hunter.
- Social Media are a pain in the ass and I start to reduce them one by one.
- Subscription Services, everything has a subscription service and they all cost money, something will not add up in the long run.
- David Fincher yet again not winning an Acadamy Award
- Last years Superbowl, what a bore and I hate Tom Brady
- The state of the world, damn you COVID-19
- Me not being as productive or focused as I would have liked
What else did I do?
- I did my yearly redesign, improved upon the version before
- picked a WordPress replacement CMS
- I learned React, a bit of Vue and started to use Vite.js
- I lost weight, which was deliberate
- optimized my home office, though I’m not done yet
I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, but a year is long and if you don’t write anything down you tend to forget a few things.
To summarize, it was, once again, a weird and difficult year. For a moment it seemed to be over and we would get back to normal (whatever that is) but we got pulled right back in for another go-around. Let’s just hope this was it, we need to find some normalcy I think, we really need to.