Some thoughts on 2020
Last year I started with a different kind of look back or recap on the previous year, no more top ten lists but rather an unsorted or alphabetical list of things I liked and didn’t quite like. And also some notes on stuff I did.
The idea was to summarize and categorize the year quickly in good and bad stuff with some noteworthy things. So like yesterday‘s post, I will keep this tradition and do the same thing again with 2020.
Things I liked
- Better Call Saul, the fifth season is the best new thing on TV I’ve seen all year. The last three episodes were absolute nailbiters.
- Blender, this free tool allowed me to be able to create anything from nothing in 3D, which really lifted my spirit.
- Firefox, this is my go-to browser on all my devices now and I’m glad I made the switch to a browser that I believe actually cares about privacy.
- Good movies from 2019, I finally came around to seeing some missed good movies from 2019 like Ford vs Ferrari and Knives Out.
- Jelle’s Marble Runs, another uplifting thing that replaced all the sporting events that were canceled. I never thought marbles could deliver so much joy.
- Mank, a new movie by David Fincher is always something special. Seeing it on the big screen even more special. Not his best film but certainly his most beautiful.
- Old movies, saw some older movies again, due to a lack of new releases, which reminded me of better times.
- Red Dead Redemption 2, is something I was addicted to and delivered much-needed escapism.
- Streamers, Netflix really benefited in times of a Pandemic and released new content constantly, I loved it.
- The Social Dilemma, this docu on Netflix was the final thing that I needed to go through avoiding (but not yet deleting) Facebook and rethink my use of social media.
- Trump losing, seeing him finally losing was a huge relief.
- Uplifting movies, in dire times it’s important to lift oneself up, especially in a year like last year. Movies that lifted me up were Palm Springs, Bill & Ted Face the Music or Soul.
Things I didn’t like
- Cats, every year there are bad movies and I’ve seen quite a few but nothing was as bad as this one.
- Conspiracy Theorists, these annoy the hell out of me and I don’t quite understand how to deal with them.
- Corona (COVID-19), what is there to say, is the world reacting to our overpopulation? Is this just the beginning? I don’t know.
- People who think they know better than scientists, another group of people that annoy me, especially in a year like last year.
- Unfinished Projects, I started a few new short projects again this year and never finishing them, this has to stop, or at least get better.
- YouTube, as much as I love YouTube, the service has become really bad this year with the constant ad-breaks. Plus I’ve been watching too much of it, well it was a weird year.
What else did I do?
- Build my own gaming/Blender PC
- Used the free time I got to learn Blender again
- Released two themes (SP7 and SP8)
- Continued again with walking through every street in Basel
- Started to Vlog privately
- Improved my photography skills